Margaret M. O'Connell
Email: Contact Us
Margaret M. O'Connell is a Senior Partner at A. Traub & Associates. Margaret practices in all areas of family, criminal, traffic, and expungement law, and is a court-approved Guardian ad litem in the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit. Margaret is a graduate of Bradley University 1986 and the John Marshall Law School 1991. Margaret is a member of the following bar associations:
- Illinois State Bar (1991)
- United States District Court, Northern District
- United States District Court, Southern District
- United States District Court, Central District
- United States District Court Trial Bar, Northern District
- United States District Court Trial Bar, Southern District
- United States District Court Trial Bar, Central District
Margaret was formerly a member of the Illinois Capital Litigation Trial Bar.
Margaret worked as an Assistant State's Attorney in DuPage County from 1991 to 1996. During her tenure as an Assistant State's Attorney, Margaret prosecuted cases involving domestic violence, child abuse, felonies, and misdemeanors. From 1996 to 2003, Margaret was a Senior Assistant Attorney General. During her tenure as a Senior Assistant Attorney General, Margaret prosecuted matters in the Criminal Trials Assistance Bureau throughout the State of Illinois. Margaret also worked in the Criminal Appeals Bureau and has argued before the following:
- United States District Court
- United States Court of Appeals
- Prepared a brief on behalf of numerous states in amicus curiae in the United States Supreme Court
During her tenure as a Senior Assistant Attorney General, Margaret served as Attorney General Jim Ryan's delegate to the Illinois Criminal Justice Authority Committee on Full Faith and Credit of Foreign Orders of Protection, as well as on Abuse, Neglect and Financial Exploitation of Persons with Disabilities. Margaret entered private practice in 2003, practicing in the areas of family, criminal defense and appellate law.
In 2015, Margaret was awarded a Pro Bono Service Award from the DuPage Legal Assistance Foundation at the DuPage County Bar Associations Law Day event.
Seminars and Presentations
- DuPage Association of Women Lawyers Seminar on DUI legislation and recent case law updates.
- In 2013, Margaret presented at the DuPage County Association of Women Lawyers seminar on appellate procedure.
- Margaret has been asked and is a member of the e-Filing Committee of the DuPage County Bar Association.
Other Professional Associations
- In 2006 and 2012, Margaret was the Chairperson for the DuPage County Bar Association Appellate Law Committee.
- In 2011, Margaret was the Vice Chairperson for the DuPage County Bar Association Appellate Law Committee.
- Currently, Margaret is an Executive Board Member of Educare of West Chicago and a Mentor for the DuPage County Bar Association Mentoring Program.