Share Your Experience

five star review
Lombard Office
Text Us Now

2023 Divorce Statistics You Should Know

 Posted on July 21, 2023 in Family Law Blog

Wheaton Family LawyerThere is a lot of information - and misinformation - about the realities of divorce to be found online. The fact is that divorce is very common. Over the last several decades, divorce has been rapidly destigmatized. In the past, people who wanted to divorce their spouse had to prove that they had a good reason for doing so. This is no longer the case. If you want a divorce, you will not likely need to show a judge evidence that your spouse has done something bad enough to warrant ending the marriage. In fact, most divorce cases in modern days are not heard by a judge at all. The vast majority of divorce cases are resolved out of court by mutual agreement of the parties. Divorce mediation has become the generally preferred option for settling most divorces. If you are beginning the process of getting a divorce, one of your first steps should be finding an experienced attorney to represent you. 

Important Statistics About Modern Divorce 

Some telling statistics about divorce in 2023 include: 

  • Divorce is usually final - Of spouses who have gotten divorced, only 6% remarry each other. The other 94% stay divorced. 

  • Some reasons for divorce are very common - 75% of people getting divorced state that a lack of mutual commitment to the marriage is a cause of their divorce. Another 60% cite infidelity, while 40% cite financial trouble. Disturbingly, almost a quarter of people getting divorced stated that domestic violence was a factor in their divorce. 

  • Your career may be a factor - Some professions have noticeable and statistically significant differences in divorce rate. Bartenders have roughly a 50% chance of getting divorced, while actuaries have less than a 20% chance of going through one. 

  • Divorcees are older - The average man is 46 years old at the time of his divorce, while the average woman is 44. In many cases, a person getting divorced around this age may be in their second marriage, or their first marriage may have endured for some time. 

  • Women file more often - Almost 70% of divorces in opposite-sex marriages are initiated by a woman. 

  • Fathers are better protected - In the past, mothers almost always got primary custody. Today, children are more likely than ever to be placed primarily with their father. However, more children of divorce live with their mothers than their fathers. 

If you are going through a divorce, you are not alone. A number of highly complex socioeconomic and psychosocial factors can contribute to divorce. 

Contact a Lombard Divorce Lawyer 

A. Traub & Associates is experienced in guiding people through the divorce process. Our skilled Lombard divorce attorneys will strive to reach a final divorce decree that is favorable to you. To schedule your initial consultation, please contact us at 630-426-0196



Share this post:
Illinois State Bar Association DuPage County Bar Association Northwest Suburban Bar Association American Inns of Court DuPage Association of Woman Lawyers National Association of Woman Business Owners Illinois Association Criminal Defense Lawyers DuPage County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
Back to Top